Welcome to my Online Journey!!

Welcome!!!!!

Feel free to leave me a comment! Id love to hear from you!


Take Care,
Deb

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The parents of Athletes

Why do some parents (including myself) get so competitive while our children are playing sports? The big picture is that - its just a game. Yeah I get it, but as soon as that buzzer sounds, my blood pressure rises, suddenly I think I can coach better, and I wonder why didn't my daughter make that ridiculously easy shot???? Many of the parents around me join in encouraging our daughters and trying to support the team. Is it like that when the boys play? I went to a couple of boys games, but it isn't nearly as loud, or maybe I am just not emotionally attached. During Lauren's game, every play she makes or doesn't make, I have to loudly comment. What do I think she is going to do? As I am yelling, is it like she is going to respond, like she is out there not trying her best, like she is going to hear me and think, yeah, I need to be more aggressive like mom is screaming! Before every game, I tell myself, I am not going to yell. That lasts about 2 minutes! Lauren scored 8 points tonight and I am very proud of her! Later that night, all Craig and I can do is discuss all the reasons why we lost. (our second game of the season) Lauren is out there playing her heart out and I just want her to do her best and enjoy herself. She loves playing and that is what I need to remember. I am always trying to yell constructive and positive things, but it is what I am screaming inside that leaves me drained and wishing I wasn't so tense. I don't wish ill-will on the opponent, we play some good teams. Tonight we knew several girls on the other team. I find myself cheering for the girls we know. I trully want them to do well too. Why can't I just sit there and be quiet?? It takes Craig and I an hour to calm down even after a big win. I can't imagine what it is going to be like when she is in high school. I need to start praying now.

No comments: