Welcome to my Online Journey!!

Welcome!!!!!

Feel free to leave me a comment! Id love to hear from you!


Take Care,
Deb

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Key West at a glance.....Day 3


Friday, Oct. 31 - Halloween Day!!!
Today was a rough day, we started at 10am!!! Every year, I come to the Hog for the Sarasota Parrothead Club party. It typically is huge!!! To enter, you must allow someone to place a big Parrothead sticker on your backside! Once established, you may enter! Years past, they had Matt Hall (my favorite) play for their party! This year was John Frinzi!!! He is soo talented and has a unique voice. He brought along with him the ever talented Doyle Grisham and the hottie, John Patti... talk about easy on the eyes!!! The perfect photo: Frinzi & Patti! Yummo!! ....sorry I got side tracked. We drank Fuzzy Navels, Bloody Mary's and Pineapple and Malibu all morning. It was a good show, our friends the Rasslers and Mitchell's were there also!



Following the show, we headed for B.O.'s Fishwagon. A popular dive in Key West, Jimmy sings about it...it truly does have the most amazing fish sandwich!! On our journey down Caroline, we run into Stan the Man!!! He is a legend! Everyone knows Stan, he is an icon in the parrothead community. Craig and I met Stan in Put-In-Bay, Michigan at Phlocking of the Phaithful! Stan and I talked about various friends we had in common, he then pointed us to his house that he was staying where more friends of ours were there sitting by the pool! Well, we invaded their home and met up with Billy Bullets and Raynell as well as Jim and Kim... all people we had been to Jamaica with several years previous! Im telling ya what, there is nothing more exciting than reconnecting with old friends!! Billy played us a song he wrote about our night in Ocho Rios at Margaritaville! We felt "A Drunk front' moving in!! Ohhh the memories from that one night were captured in a song...How wonderful! (thankfully my little 'dip' in the ocean was left out!! --- if you want to know those details, buy me a drink ...or several...and I might share!!) Billy Woods decked us out with black tshirts from his leftover tail gating! These special shirts were to be worn at the viewers discretion!! *you might see one pop up later this week* We finally reached BO's for the best grouper sandwich on the island!!
With the early morning show, we decided to take a break and head for the hot tub!! It was so relaxing! too relaxing actually.... Craig and I both decided it was time for a KW nap! We got all nestled into our cozy king bed, and the electricity went off in our B and B!! This means NO AC!! Well, Craig still had no problem drifting off to sleep. I tried ...but I just kept thinking..."Im in KW, its Friday....the Streetfest is going on right now...how can I possibly sleep?????" SOOOO... I snuck out of bed, got dressed, pulled on my cowboy hat (it is Halloween ya know) and headed to Duval St. Alone!!! I meandered my way through the crowd, bought a rum punch and watched in awe as the Boat Drunks rocked the stage!!!! I found my friends from Iowa, Teresa, Dave, Randy, Doug and Deb. They were standing across from Mville and below the parade of people tossing beads to...those who were 'earning' them! We stood and watched both shows! I heard Mike Miller take the stage. He has a special place in my heart, I forced my way to the front and stood in awe!! After about 40 photos of just Mike, I then was in place for Club Trini!! Robert Greenidge is simply amazing!! As they took the stage, the people around me was swelling in hopes that JB would show.... It was so tight, I couldn't breathe!! I slipped to the side stage and watched as TC, Nadirah, and Tina paraded right down in front of me! It was a great view. I got so wrapped up in the show, I lost track of time! It was already 5pm, I was missing Hugo's Fan Appreciation Party!!

I headed back to the B&B, where the AC was working full strength! Craig had been asleep for over 2.5 hours! The Thomas' were on their way back from the beach, and Tall Paul was taking the stage at the Bottlecap any time! Ohhh the choices!!! We knew that Hugo's show was be amazing and crowded so we opted for TallDaddy! After getting the directions, we headed to what we thought was a small walk to the corner of Catherine and Simonton! HA!!! We walked forever!!!! It was down near Louie's Backyard.!! Once we got there, we found the bar to be quiet and enchanting!! A small crowd had gathered and we finally got to see Michael Crawley! There is some magic going on during a Tall Paul / Crawdaddy show! It is beyond unbelievable! You through Kristie in the mix and it is magical! Something everyone should experience! The talent is amazing! At this point, we are relaxing in over stuffed lounge chairs and I was drinking Captain Morgan and Diet...Once Paul finished singing Romeo and Juliet, Craig leaned over and whispered, "I finally get it.... I know why you come to KW,....its not for the party, its for the music!... that was beautiful! I get it!" Wow!!!! So many times, people hear KW and think PARTY.... but for me...it is the music. It's always been the music. It motivates my soul. I live for those magical musical moments. Sooo thank you Paul and Michael for providing Craig that opened door to music!




After the show, we headed back to the Conch! Don was playing and we were ready to relax by the bay and listen to Don! We knew Lori was flying in today for the weekend!! We met up with Lori and had a great night with Donnie!

Following Don's show we headed for the finisher...Hugo. It was Halloween and it was night and man where they partying on Duval. I think we made it to the World's Smallest Bar, and even had a special house shot before we got to the Hog! We brushed through Hugo's show, had a round of Key Lime Shooters, again Brian, the Bartender calls me by name to get my drinks! soo funny! After awhile, Duval is really hopping and we decide to walk and see the sights! I was partly discouraged, I hate giving up a Hugo show. I only see him once a year, but the group as a whole wanted to go explore so I was trooper and tagged along! Once on Duval, the costumes were outrageous! We slipped into Captain Tony's for a drink! Craig bought a beer from a very cute painted girl! wow... Next, we headed to 801! Yep, 801!!!! For those who know KW, know what where we went, for those who don't.....when you go, make sure you visit 801!! It was really something!!! An experience I will not soon forget!!! We drifted in other places along the way, really taking in the whole ambiance of Halloween on Duval!!! The 6 of us really had a GREAT time! We finished the night at the Green Parrot where the Sauce Boss was playing! We got there around 2am and they were serving up the Gumbo! Wow, it smelled amazing! I didn't taste it, but everyone around me had some. (Thanks to all my friends who said my homemade Gumbo was better than the SB....really? that is crazy!!! but thanks anyway!) Don and Lori were there also! It was a GREAT night!! We strolled home very late at night. Passing by 623 Southard St., the house we stayed in a few years in the past! Wow, I laughed out loud retelling stories and memories from that house. Any readers from those years, "Captain Ron" was my favorite memory! (Miss ya Casey)
ahhhhh another day in paradise!!

No comments: