Welcome to my Online Journey!!

Welcome!!!!!

Feel free to leave me a comment! Id love to hear from you!


Take Care,
Deb

Monday, November 10, 2008

Key West at a glance.....

It's hard to sit down and really reflect and blog all of my MOTM memories. There are soo many! You get to that little island and time seems to move so fast, its uncanny! Before I knew it, it was Monday and time to come back to my 'current reality'. Ughh.. Soo in this segment, I am going to try to take you through my key west experience. There is no way to discuss all the wonderful new friends and musicians we met, but ...im gonna try!

Wednesday, Oct. 29
We arrive in Miami around 2pm, after getting the rent-a-car, we took off for our first drive down through the keys! I was anxious wanting to be there already, but at the same time wanting to take my time and really enjoy the drive! I can say, I am so glad we drove down. It is so beautiful and yet so different than I expected. I wanted to stop every 20 miles or so., but when you travel with Craig Kirk you go from destination #1 straight through to destination #2 with minimal stops! We finally arrived in KW around 6pm. I love our Bed and Breakfast, they are without a doubt the most friendly and wonderful staff. If you travel to KW and need a cozy place to stay, I recommend the Key West Bed and Breakfast! Jody and Liz will take Great care of you! We checked in our cute little room with a huge king size bed with white sheer curtains draped over the 4 posts and canopy. It was lovely! We hit the ground running to one of our favorite restaurants on the island, Conch Republic... the locals call it the Conch Farm. As we approach the building, I can already hear Don Middlebrook crooning the crowd. We found a seat near the band and ordered our first Landsharks! Don yells from the mic, "I was wondering when you were gonna get here, Teacher of the Year!"... ahhhh life is good. Bring on the crab cakes! As we were sitting listening to Don, we received a text from friends from Indiana asking how we were doing. Craig responds where we are and what we are doing..ending his text with "wish you could join us'.... shortly later, 2 friends come running and sit at our table...its our friends from IN... The Emmon's!!!!! Little did we know, they had planned on coming with us all along and kept it a secret! What a fantastic surprise!!!

After Don's show, we headed to Margaritaville to catch some of the Boat Drunks show. It was rumored that Mike Miller, the former base player would be sitting in. I love walking down Duval Street at night. There is simply nothing like it! As we get to Mville, I look up and smile, seeing a reminder of why I was there... a tiny sticker that started my love for trop rock: St. Somewhere... We found a table and they were rocking! I noticed the new base player and was kinda disappointed not to see Mike. I glanced around the full bar to find Tracy Golub, (Howie's wife) and didn't see her... so I sat and listened. Jake announced Mike was there and ready to jam. I looked up and saw Mike appear from the crowd without his signature hat (someone brought it for him) and with A LOT of curly hair and full goatee....he looks so different!! I found myself moving to the side of the bar next to the stairs so that I could see Mike without a ton of people in front of me. I was standing right next to Howie.... There were other people there too... Howie spoke to me.. and I watched in awe at Mike as he sang, "This Aint Duval St."... while taking many photos, I noticed Howie looking at me, then motioning me to look aside, there beside me was Tracy! We were standing next to another and didn't realize it, both were watching Mike! What a funny episode...Howie just laughed at us when we saw each other! Mike went on to sing my favorite BD song, Hollow Man. I can honestly say that song is one of my very favorite songs!! Mike also sang Southern Cross like nobody else can. It brought chills to me... Once I returned to our table, I found our friends were already tired and headed back to their hotel. It was only midnight! Seriously, we hadn't made it to Hog's Breath! Later, John Frinzi joined the Drunks on stage. I so love John's voice. What another wonderful suprise!!!!!

Again, we headed down Duval... so much to see and enjoy. We reach the World's Smallest Bar and know we almost home. Turning the corner and hearing Hughie drifting through the night-air... makes me shudder. I stood at the corner of the parking lot briefly to take it all in. Walking up to the Hog, its like coming home to a disfunctional family reunion! Suddenly people are popping out of nowhere to say "HI". Milwaukee Mike greets us with big hugs!!! Its so great seeing him again, we always have a Great time with Mike, what an amazingly wonderful friend! He is with Joe from South Carolina whom Im sure we've met before. Next, we see IOWA... nothing Beenblossom to come running up for a full body, wrap her legs around me hug! Mike leans over and says, "hey, can I get a hug like that?" Welcome to Key West! Next, I see my favorite dance partner coming... I love Steve and Gayla Mitchell! Steve and I always save a dance at the Hog. We met the Mitchell's several years ago in Jamaica with Sunny Jim and Matt Hall. Steve and I seemed to leave those last impressions on everyone. We can always count on spending quality time with Steve and Gayla at the Hog at least once a year! Wonderful people! As the night progresses, I walk through to get a drink aware of the Hogcam and wondering if anyone sees me, I signal to say Hi.. then I turn my attention to Hugo, he notices me and nods or waves. Hugo's music speaks to me, the energy, the feel of the crowd.... Life is good...im Home!

Finally making it back to the B & B around 3am. Mr. Z's will have to wait till tomorrow.... And to think...this is only DAY 1~~~~~

No comments: